Different mills, at various different times, in this location were known as “Widope Mill”, Denwick Corn Mill, New Mill, Eadington’s Mill and Gothick Mill. It stood on the north side of the river Aln, just west of Denwick Bridge.
Gothick Mill was constructed following the great flood of 1770. An illustration can be found <here>. It was the last mill in this location, but not the first.
“The Wythope Mill at this time was rebuilt, on an enlarged scale, in an imitative Gothic style. It was a picturesque object, seen from Denwick Bridge; and its removal in 1839 was regretted by many who had often lingered on the bridge listening to the clack, and enjoying one of the finest views of the castle and of the vale of the Aln” (Tate).
The mill that was replaced appears on earlier C18th estate plans as “New Mill” and the opposite bank of the river is also labelled “New Mill Haugh”. Skelly believes that Widope Mill was be built about the middle of the seventeenth century. Until then there was a mill onthe other side othe river, at Hesleyside ceases. However, when the new fish pass was constructed, archaeologists found signs that the origins of the mill race on the north side might have been medieval. However, Tate suggests it might havde been earlier, and mentions a resolution by the town to procure the lease of Wythope Mill, and a reference to the name in 1613. A neighbouring field was labelled Wythop Houses in 1737. That earlier mill in this location was also called Denwick Mill, and was operated by the Eadington family. They went on to build the mill further down stream, that today we remember as Peter’s Mill. Tate describes Wythope Mill as “a small mill for the accommodation of the people of Denwick and its neighbourhood” and says that it “stood less than half-a-mile further down the river, on the site where, what was called, Eadington’s Mill was afterwards built“.
John Robertson Map of 1737
- Shows New Mill and names the neighbouring field Wythop Houses.
Isaac Thomson Map of 1760
- Shows New Mill in this location
Sauthier map of 1788.
- Shows Mill in this location
Thomas Bell Survey 1826
- Shown as mill but without name
- “a neat corn mill with castellated walls and in the Gothic Style”