In the past, a number of burns flowed through Alnwick. These were used for drinking water for many centuries. Over time they were culverted and although they can no longer be seen, they still flow underground.
From the west, these burns are:
- Wash or Washer Burn changes to Canongate Burn.
- Bow Burn has tributaries:
- Clayport, Greenwell and Hotspur St
- Aller Burn
On the burn track map, number 6, Allerburn, from 1788 survey by Sauthier, is longer off the junction of Wagonway Rd, about 1/2 mile measuring from modern War Memorial and heading into fields roughly South West direction.