Savings Bank

A “gentleman’s residence”, which does not appear on Wood’s map of 1827, but was bought in 1851 for £700 by the Savings Bank which moved there from their Narrowgate/Fenkle Street premises. The bank spent a further £200 on alterations and improvements and remained there until, after an armed robbery in the 1980s, they moved into what had been the Globe Inn on Market Street.