Fountain in sandstone and polished pink granite, dating from 1890, with water trough on north side, drinking fountains to east and west, and one other spout on the north side, On top there is a bowl containing the fountain, and there is a light fitting within the dome
The fountain was gifted to the town by Alderman Adam Robertson, and it stands across the road from his house, which was called “Fountain House” (later the HSBC bank). Alderman Adam Robertson was a successful businessman, generous townsman and a prominent freemason. The carving of a six-pointed star on the frieze is a symbol of the freemasons.
The pant was designed by George Reavell and built by Green and Douglas of Amble. The plumbing was designed by Geoffrey Wilson (town surveyor) and executed by T H Hindmarsh and son. The sandstone came from Denwick, and the red granite from Peterhead.
This is the only pant in Alnwick connected to the mains water supply. It was originally built so that the fountain could be supplied either with water from Clayport, or from the mains supply; while the drinking fountains were supplied from the mains, and the trough from the same supply as St Michael’s Pant.
The pant was restored in 1986 and re-started in 2013, after having been switched off for 15 years following complaints that passers-by were splashed on windy days.It still works, and is run occasionally.