Grade II Listed: HE Record
A variety of goods and services have been available on this site. This map shows it was once a public house named The Bee Hive.
James Bolam, who owned a flour mill at Dispensary Street was well placed to sell his “high class family flours” and seeds at this shop in the marketplace. Famers who arrived to sell cattle were able to buy grain and feeding meal of all kinds for their livestock.
In 1875 Walter Willson established grocery and convenience stores across the North East under the tagline the “Smiling Service Store”. There were eventually over 100 shops, one of which stood in Alnwick Market Place.