These are the main historical periods that help define the development of Alnwick
- Mesolithic, Neolithic, Bronze Age and Iron Age
- The period of Roman occupation in the North.
Anglian and Early Medieval Period
- From the departure of the Romans, the advance of the Anglo-Saxons to the Norman Conquest
- From the Norman Conquest to the Union of the Crowns in 1603
- From 1603 to 1750
- The Freeman were the town’s governing body.
- From 1750 to 1830
- The arrival of the 1st Duke and hsi influence of the town.
- 1830 to 1918
- The increase in national institutions.
- 1919 to 2000