Previously this pub was called William IV. It was common practice to name pubs after the reigning monarch, and William IV ruled from 1830 – 1837. The 1830 Beerhouse act liberalised the brewing and selling of beer. As a result the number of pubs increased dramatically, and William IV remains one of the most common name for pubs to this day.
This advertisement dates from 1855, by which time Victoria has succeed to the throne, and the pub had been renamed. At the time there were at least a dozen pubs in Clayport. This was below the Pack Horse, above the Blue Bell, opposite Clayport Tower Inn, Anchor & Grey’s Inn. It continued in business until about 1870 as the Freemen’s Arms.