Cawledge Park, together with Hulne Park, was emparked in the 13th century.
In 1513, Cawledge Park had 131 stags, 339 does and 148 fawns and the boundary of was six miles around, but it was only partly enclosed by a bank and fence. “In the same park are some deer but no great plenty by reason the pale is not repaired”. By then, deer parks were falling into disuse and Cawledge Park (and Hulne Park) was disparked after the restoration of Charles II in 1660, and subdivided for agricultural use. By 1605 Cawledge was divided into five farms.
Hulne Park and Cawledge Park were surveyed in 1619 and the maps show both surrounded by paling.
Cawlyche, circa 1260, Cart., A. A., Callege, 1654 ; Cawledge, 1668 ; now pronounced Callish ; was a large park of the earls of Northumberland, stocked in 1512 with 580 fallow deer, and, in 1569, described to be seven miles in circumference. It was on the south boundary of the parish, and near to Rugley. Some portions of the old wall are still standing. On the west side of it was a road, which continued across Alnwick Moor to Alnwick Abbey ; and on this road several horse shoes have been found, left by the Hobelers, the small horses of the county. In the old form of the name we may have the Celtic word for water, uisg, Iri.sh, wysg Welsh. After the park had been broken up, and parcels of it held by several persons, names were given to various parts from the older tenants ;
- Grumbles East Park was held by Thomas Grumble in 1646;
- Facey’s or West Park by Henry Facey in 1647;
- Archbold’s South or Far Park by William Archbold in 1650.
- Milburn’s Park, held by Henry Milburn in 1700, was the Firth, which in 1745 was held by Wm. Milburn at a rental of £36.
The valley through which the Cawlyche flows is deep, the banks are high and steep, and the limestones, sandstones, shales, and coals of the Mountain Limestone formation are well exposed in the channel of the burn and in cliffs in its banks. Several instances of faults and breaks in the strata may be seen; and in the channel where the footpath crosses to Shilbottle, the limestones appear like a pavement, formed of square slabs. Many of the more interesting land shells and plants may be gathered in this valley ; and here too the scenery is wild and picturesque, composed of rock and cliff, wood and water. According to a survey in 1622, “there is within the Park of Cawledge one coal mine which is demised to William Watson, and also a slate quarry.” In 1745 Cawledge Park and Shilbottle colliery were held by Mr. Edward Archbold at a rental of £76 10s.
East Cawledge Park farm contains 273ac. 3r. 2p., of which 95ac. are in grass; the rent in 1650, on a lease, was £35 and a bushel of oats ; it was the same in 1745, though a fine would most probably be paid on the renewal of the lease ; the present rent is £267 10s. The soil is a clayey loam of a fair quality ; among the fields are the Stanley flats and bank and the Cobbler’s knowes. ” Petrifying springs,” water charged with carbonate of lime, come out of the brae side below the house.
Middle Cawledge Park, with cottages and land, contains 280ac. 2r., the rental being £146 1s. 6d. ; the soil is but a poor clay, part of which has been drained, making it fair wheat land.