Alnwick Hotspur Rugby Club was formed in 1880. Hotspur’s first game away to Jesmond resulted in a draw. Their first home game was played on the football pitch provided by Mrs Rennison of the Star on Wagonways. With victory over Rockliffe. Hotspur played in cardinal red.
In 1884, the club was disbanded, with the minutes reporting that the Hotspur, St Michael’s Guild and other football clubs agreeing to combine to form the Alnwick Association Football Club.
In 1933 a new rugby club was established, playing on a ground near Denwick Mill and using the Plough Inn as a clubhouse. This club disbanded in 1937.
The current club was founded in 1960, with the Duke of Northumberland providing land for a pitch on Greensfield Moor (now Weavers Way). The clubhouse, as well as changing and bathing was again provided at the Plough Inn. The Duke later provided land for a permanent clubhouse at the ground.