The Playhouse was originally built in 1925 as a 700-seat cinema and occasional music hall. It was built on the site of the old Militia Depot. The Playhouse closed in 1979, and the NTC Touring Theatre Company bought the building. They converted the ground floor and the upper floor was leased out to The Alnwick District Playhouse Trust who re-opened the newly refurbished Alnwick Playhouse in December, 1990. The building was subsequently modernised in 2022, with space being made available for a new library and Tourist Information.