Alnwick Cricket Club was formed in 1837, the second oldest provincial club in England with a proven continuous history.
At the conclusion of the annual Shrovetide football match in 1837 a number of the players suggested the formation of a cricket club for recreation during the summer months. The first match against the Castle staff took place in the idyllic setting of The Pastures, in front of the Castle. Games were regularly played against the Castle servants and the Percy Household Club.
The club’s first inter club match resulted in defeat against Gateshead.
In 1843 the Duke granted land to create a ground adjacent to the Freemen`s Recreation Ground. On a Market day in June 1843, many farmers and local gentlemen assembled at a field called ‘Stamps Close’ to witness a trial of a draining plough, Green’s Patent. This was unanimously approved of by all present. In May 1844 with the new pitch drained and levelled Alnwick played their first match. Press reported quoits and other games (see tennis and hockey) would be introduced. A pitch in Hulne Park is reported on in 1863 when ‘The Twenty-Two of Alnwick beat a ‘United X1 of England’ by ten runs. By the 1880s new turf had been laid and a new pavilion erected.
In 1983, the club moved to its current ground on Weavers Way.