Alnwick Bowling Club

The oldest club in Northumberland was formed in 1877, still playing on the original green made available by the Duke of Northumberland near the old Infirmary for the nominal rent of two shillings and sixpence. Ancient tradition has it, that many years before the original game of bowls in Alnwick was played to the west of the Town Wall beyond Pottergate Tower, coincidentally roughly where the present green is situated. The club in 1904 was one of thirty one clubs to be affiliated to the new English Bowling Association.