Grade II Listed: HE Record
This was once the site of Mr. White’s Confectioners. In the window are items and advertisements for the three major British confectionery companies started in the 19th century, by philanthropic Quaker families: Cadbury, Fry and Rowntree.
The original pant -public water fountain- outside the shop was built around 1870. Because the water supply was poor it was called a “dribble” and then “Jimmy’s Dribble”. The pant in the picture was replaced by a non-working replica in 1953 after being demolished by a car.
The premises was expanded and La Bamba took the whole of the lower floor of the building.