This building was once home to a hardware shop owned by William Mitchell who sold tools and agricultural implements. The scythe in the window, was made by W. Tyzack and Sons & Turner Ltd a Sheffield company formed in 1870. The trademark of an elephant was originally stamped onto Tyzack scythe blades typifying their strength and durability.
William Mitchell also sold agricultural implements that were manufactured and repaired at his works on Green Batt.
He died in 1946 at the age of 70. He was a member of the Duke’s School Old Boys Football Club, treasurer of Zion Congregational Church and a committee member of the Alnwick Flower Show.
The shop is now Blades.