Grade II* Listed: HE Record
The imposing building was built around 1840 as a branch of Northumberland and Durham District Bank (formed in 1836 with Head Office in Newcastle). The front was designed by “Mr Green of Newcastle”. The bank collapsed in 1857 and was taken over by the bankers Lambton & Co.
An archway was inserted by 1861.
From 1870 the building was the headquarters of the 2nd Northumberland (Percy) Artillery Volunteers, and in 1888 a Drill Hall was erected in the garden.